The Society of Ohio Archivists most recent leadership meeting minutes, from June 28, 2021, can be found on the Council Meeting Minutes page. The document includes many between-meeting actions from the spring.
Interested in SOA over time? Also on that page are minutes dating back to 1997. In addition to documenting actions from the leadership meeting, minutes include reports from the treasurer as well as from committees and task forces.
SCOPE OF INTERNSHIP
- $15/hour for up to 300 hours. Biweekly pay schedule.
- Flexible work schedule.
- All work will be onsite at 4960 Salem Ave. in Dayton, Ohio
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mounts a small exhibit using materials from the CPPS Archives.
- Utilizes PastPerfect Museum Software to maintain and update the CPPS Archives collections digital database.
- Inventories, researches, and evaluates books contained in the CPPS Archives.
- Assists with writing column in Congregation’s quarterly newsletter.
- Participates in other archival activities as needed which may include Community events, oral histories, and professional meetings.
Recordings are now available from the virtual Society of Ohio Archivists 2021 Annual Meeting: Archives in an Era of Change (June 7-8, 2021).
Find them on the SOA’s YouTube channel SOAam21playlist. Or linked next to the sessions in the Schedule At A Glance on the Annual Meetings page.
Speaker slides are being added as we receive them, also on the Annual Meetings page.
Questions? Contact the Educational Programming Committee Cochairs Rachael Bussert and Anne Ryckbost.
Amy Rohmiller, Vice President/President-Elect
For the second year in a row, the Society of Ohio Archivists held its normally scheduled election online May 14-28. The online election was again necessitated by current conditions and the lack of an in-person Annual Meeting (held June 7-8 virtually this year and free to membership).
Jen Johnson, Secretary
The results of the election are now in and officially recognized. SOA would like to welcome the following new leaders:
- Amy Rohmiller, University of Dayton, Vice President/President-Elect (2021-2022)
- Jen Johnson, State Library of Ohio, Secretary (2021-2023)
- Sasha Griffin, Denison University, Council (2021-2023)
Sasha Griffin, Council
A big thank you to Jenifer Baker and Marsha Miles for running, and the Nominating Committee. Also, thank you to everyone who participated!
For more on the new officers and Council member, see the Candidate Statements in this 4-page extract from the Ohio Archivist, spring 2021.
- Sherri Goudy, Nerd Girl History Adventure, transitions from Vice President/President-Elect to President.
- Adam Wanter, MidPointe Library, transitions from President to Past-President.
- Robin Heise, Greene County Records Center and Archives, transitions out of SOA Leadership. Council cannot heap enough praise on Robin for all that she has done and for her great leadership.
Committee Leadership Appointments and Departures
Another big thank you also goes out to outgoing, incoming, and reappointed committee leadership:
- Educational Planning Committee: Bill Modrow, Miami University, whose term as EPC cochair comes to an end with the 2021 Annual Conference. Welcome to incoming Cochair Anne Ryckbost, Xavier University, who is joining current Cochair Rachael Bussert, Dayton Metro Library.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Janet Carleton, Ohio University, has been reappointed for a second term as MCC cochair, joining current Cochair Amanda Rindler, Ohio History Connection.
- Membership and Awards Committee: Stephanie Shreffler, University of Dayton, has been reappointed for a second term as MAC cochair, joining current Cochair Matt Francis, Ohio Northern University.
- Nominating Committee: Robin Heise, Greene County Records Center and Archives, whose term comes to an end as the chair position resides with the Past President. Adam Wanter, MidPointe Library System assumes the role of chair.
- Ohio Archivist: Kayla Harris, University of Dayton, whose term as Editor-in-Chief comes to an end. Welcome to incoming Editor Abigail Sachs.
For more information see the Officer and Council Member roster, Committees & Task Forces page, and the Nominating Committee page.
The Society of Ohio Archivists Advocacy and Outreach Committee is hosting a virtual informal “Meet-Up” on Wednesday, June 9, 2001 at 3pm (Eastern), via Zoom.
This will be a fun opportunity for Ohio archivists to get together, following the virtual SOA Annual Meeting on June 7-8. There will be trivia and an opportunity to share and chat with fellow archivists.
Registration is required to receive the meeting link. Please email Connie Conner to register.
We hope you can join!
Questions? Contact the Advocacy and Outreach Committee Cochairs Natalie Fritz and Jenifer Baker.
Register now to join your colleagues (virtually) at the Society of Ohio Archivists 2021 Annual Meeting: Archives in an Era of Change, Monday June 7 & Tuesday June 8.
Two days of sessions on current topics, a virtual archives crawl, awards ceremony, annual business meeting, and a thoughtful plenary (all via Zoom). Plus registration is FREE for members!*
Much more, including the full schedule, on the Annual Meeting page.
Plenary Speaker: Ben Garcia – “Archives, Libraries, Museums: Meaning-making and Magic.”
Garcia is deputy executive director and chief learning officer at the Ohio History Connection. His talk will be a reflection on why our work matters, where we have gone astray, and what the path forward could be. This presentation will touch on the meaning of collections and spaces, digital and physical. And a rationale, rooted in our deepest places, for equitable practice, access and representation in our fields.
*If not currently a member, you will have the opportunity to join SOA through the online meeting registration form by choosing that option within the Registration Type menu. And membership fees are just $5 (student)/$10 (bridge)/$15 (individual)!
Questions? Contact the Educational Programming Committee Cochairs Rachael Bussert and William Modrow.
The Society of Ohio Archivists Membership and Awards Committee is pleased to announce the 2021 SOA History Day Awards. The awardees were selected from submissions for the award, from among those advancing to the state finals competition which was held virtually on Saturday, April 24.
Junior Award: Angela D’Souza, Birchwood School of Hawken, for her junior individual documentary, “The Cleveland Free-Net: How a Case Western Reserve University Experiment Opened a New World of Communication.” Angela worked with archivists at Case Western Reserve University to obtain primary source documents and resources about the Cleveland Free-Net that she used in her documentary. She also interviewed the widow of the creator of Free-Net, who gave her additional photos and primary sources she used.
Senior Award: Brendan Zbanek, Mary Basilion, Zara Braun, Shaker Heights High School, for their senior group performance, “Tinker v. Des Moines: The Student Led Fight For Free Speech.” Brendan, Mary, and Zara researched the Supreme Court case files, and read books from the 1960s to fully understand the time period. They also conducted an interview with Mary Beth Tinker, the plaintiff in the case, and incorporated her firsthand knowledge of the case into their performance. Continue reading
It’s time to vote for Society of Ohio Archivists Leadership!
All current members of SOA should have received an email with a link to the ballot for officers and Council members today, May 14. The ballot will be available May 14-28. If you did not receive one, and you have checked your junk folder, please contact Matt Francis, cochair of the Membership & Awards Committee, to check on your membership status.
Please see the Candidate Statements in this 4-page extract from the Ohio Archivist, spring 2021.
2021 Slate of Candidates
- Vice President/President-elect: Amy Rohmiller
- Secretary: Jen Johnson
- Council (1 open seat): Jenifer Baker, Sasha Griffin, Marsha Miles
Thank you to the Nominating Committee for their work.
The spring 2021 issue of Ohio Archivist, SOA’s biennial publication, is now available to download as a PDF or view in ISSUU!
In this issue you will find a information about the virtual Annual Meeting on the theme Archives in an Era of Change, a feature story on Oberlin women and the suffrage movement, and a new Digital Discussions article.
You’ll also find the 2021 slate of candidates for Council. The election will be held online again this year. Voting information will be sent to members Friday, May 14. Voting will close on May 28.
– Archives in an Era of Change: Annual Meeting 2021
– President’s Message
– SOA News: 2021 Slate of Candidates; 2020 Joint Meeting Recap: History is Happening Now!; Archives Month Poster
– “Oberlin College, the Suffrage Movement, and Oberlin Women in leadership'” by Ken Grossi
– Digital Discussions: “Privacy considerations in Digital Collections” by Virginia Dressler
– News & Notes
– Editor’s Note
See all past Ohio Archivist issues on that publication’s page.
SOA’s Advocacy and Outreach Committee is pleased to announce that voting is now open for images for inclusion on the 2021 Ohio Archives Month poster!
We have some fantastic submissions of images of Ohio’s outdoor spaces, with more than 20 organizations participating this year. Now we need your votes!
How To Vote
- Voting begins Monday, April 19 and ends Friday, May 7, 2021.
- Vote for your top ten images by selecting/clicking on the image, which will highlight the selection in blue.
- Once you’ve made your selections, click the arrow at the bottom on the page to record your vote.
- You can choose up to, but no more than, ten images for your vote to be counted.
- Please only vote once.
- Click here to vote
Once voting is complete, the winner(s) will be notified via email. Continue reading