ABOUT | BLOG | RESOURCES | STATEMENTS
- SOA Council Statement on Racial Inequality and Black Lives Matter, June 3, 2020
- The Society of Ohio Archivists condemns violence against Asian American and Pacific Island people. Blog post | PDF , April 8, 2021.
Resources from the SOA Social Justice and Black Lives Matter Task Force. Updated August 2022.
Devhra BennettJones (2020-)
Madeleine Fix, Nationwide Insurance (2020- )
Hannah Kemp-Severence, University of Akron (2023- )
Arjun Sabharwal, University of Toledo (2023- )
Penelope Shumaker, State Library of Ohio (2020-, cochair 2023-2025)
Nicole Sutton, Columbus Metropolitan Library (2020-, cochair 2023-2025)
The JEDAI Committee seeks to fulfill the following goals:
- Identify and develop sustainable ways to incorporate JEDAI into the work of SOA Council and its committees.
- Identify and develop ways SOA can make use of its platform(s) to responsibly give voice to historically underrepresented communities.
- Identify and share resources to educate Council and membership on JEDAI – with an emphasis on applications to archival and information work.
- Identify and develop ways to continually engage the membership about the JEDAI Committee.
Additionally, the following principles guide the Committee as it seeks to complete its mission:
- Create a committee culture focused on JEDAI initiatives, strategies, and goals through intercommunity awareness;
- Create a safe and equitable space for all underrepresented communities;
- Center underrepresented voices;
- Be cognizant of privilege;
- Be mindful of the origins of stories
The Task Force will be made up of the following:
- Chair (1) – appointed by Council who will serve a term of 2 years or until the Task Force is disbanded by Council. Chair term can be renewed once, if Council approves.
- Council Liaison (1) – selected by Council.
- Task Force Members (approximately 6) – volunteers who step forward from general membership and who are approved by the Chair. Non-SOA members from outside professions will be eligible to join upon approval of Council.
Last Updated on August 1, 2023 by Emily Gainer