Founded in 1968, the Society of Ohio Archivists’ mission is to improve the state of archives in Ohio by promoting the archival profession and providing professional development and networking opportunities for Ohio’s professional and aspiring archivists.
History of SOA
- SOA is the oldest continuously operating state organization devoted to the archival profession in the US.
- The Society’s archives are held at The Ohio State University Archives. View online finding aid. Download the finding aid box list (XLSX)
- Society of Ohio Archivists’ Program History created by Tom Steman in February 2002 (PDF), listing sessions held at SOA conferences and meetings 1966-2001.
- SOA is registered as a nonprofit corporation with the state of Ohio.
- SOA holds 501(c)(6) designation from the Internal Revenue Service, meaning it is not subject to federal tax, and is a nonprofit that serves its members.
- Past newsletters are also a good source for SOA history. See links to past issues on the Newsletter page.
Questions or comments about the website? Contact the Marketing and Communications Committee chair.
Last Updated on September 23, 2022 by janet_carleton