Please complete the Call for Proposals Form
January 15, 2020 extended to January 21 at 5:00 p.m.
The Society of Ohio Archivists is returning to Columbus for its 2020 annual meeting! In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment, this year’s theme will focus on documenting social change. The committee welcomes submissions relating directly to the theme, along with a broad array of other topics.
Session, poster, and discussion proposal topics can address a variety of topics, including, but not limited to:
- Events and activities relating to the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment
- Any aspect of documenting social movements, including collection development, arrangement and description, access, and outreach
- Unique collection development ventures
- Best practices and new methods for handling preservation, description, and access to analog, born-digital, or hybrid collections
- Diversity, access, inclusion, and community archives
Possible Session Formats
- Panel Sessions – Two to four speakers present on a common theme.
- Poster Presentations – Report in which information is summarized using brief written statements and graphic materials, such as photographs, charts, graphs, and/or diagrams mounted on poster board. Presenters will be assigned a specific time at which they must be with their poster to discuss it with attendees.
- Debate – Moderator announces the topic, and two other people debate. May include more than one topic and additional debaters.
- Fishbowl – Speakers sit in a circle of chairs on stage—the bowl—and the audience sits in concentric circles around them. The speakers are then asked to talk to each other by answering a series of directed questions. In an open fishbowl, one chair is left empty and audience members can rotate through, adding their take on the topic.
- Lightning – Presentations may be from 3 to 10 minutes long, with the time allotted depending on the number of presenters. May or may not include slides or images.
- Mini-Workshop – session teaching a skill or concept through hands-on activity.
- Pecha Kucha – Each presentation consists of 20 slides or images displayed for 20 seconds each, with comment. Each presentation lasts 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
- World Café – consists of multiple presentations/conversations going on at separate tables, with attendees given the opportunity to rotate between them every 20 minutes.
- Other session formats that encourage interaction between presenters and attendees
All sessions will have an assigned member of the Program Committee to provide introductions, and, as needed, to moderate.
Proposals must include:
- Session/Poster title and type
- Abstract of 250 words describing the session/poster and how it will be of interest to SOA attendees
- Description of 150 words for the printed program
- Contact information for the primary presenter and any other participants
- A/V or technology requirements
- Any additional special needs
Proposals will be evaluated on clarity, originality, diversity of content and speaker representation, and completeness of proposal and presenters. The Program Committee also encourages proposals from students, new professionals, first-time presenters and attendees, individuals from related professions, as well as those from outside the state of Ohio.
Please complete the proposal form by January 21, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
More meeting details will appear as they develop at: http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/
Questions? Please contact Stephanie Bricking (Stephanie.Bricking@cincinnatilibrary.org) and William Modrow (firstname.lastname@example.org), Co-Chairs, Society of Ohio Archivists’ Educational Programming Committee.