The 2020 theme Ohio Women and the Fight for the Right to Vote, was chosen to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which expanded the women’s suffrage across the country. The amendment’s passage did not guarantee that all women could vote. Black, American Indian, Asian, and Hispanic women played a vital role in continuing to advocate for their own right to vote, which would not be granted until decades later. See the 2020 Poster Images page for all the details. (Download the poster as 3MB PDF.)
Archives, museums, historical societies, libraries, and other organizations with archival and history collections are invited to participate in Archives Month this year by scheduling a special event or exhibit or lecture to highlight the collections in your institution. Copies of the Archives Month poster were mailed to members during September.
Other suggested activities include:
- Hold a kick-off reception with a featured speaker on the importance of preserving archival records, e.g., an archivist or librarian, researcher, or local government official. Don’t forget to invite the press!
- Display the official Archives Month Poster in your offices.
- Develop a website consisting of your institution’s contributions, if any, to the Ohio Memory Project.
- Send press releases to local media, including a description of your archival materials, an article using research from the materials in your collection, or photographs of some of the most interesting materials in your collection.
- Contact your local government officials and organizations in your community to let them know about Archives Month. Offer to speak about your collection and what resources in your collection could be of use to them. Or (if possible) offer to be a repository for their historic materials or offer your expertise in helping them organize their archives.
- Create an exhibit of some of your materials in your institution.
- Have a program of readings that feature choice items from your collections and have members of your community do the reading! Better yet, get together with other repositories in your community or region for a joint program.
Once you have decided on an event or program, please submit it to the calendar of events for Archives Month in Ohio.
- More information about the history of Archives Month in Ohio.
- Download the official Ohio Archives Month Poster (3 MB PDF)
- View an exhibit of our past Archives Month Posters
- Visit the Society of American Archivists’ American Archives Month page for more resources
2020 Committee members
George Bain, Ohio University Libraries, retired
Jenifer Baker, Warren County Records Center and Archives
Connie Connor, Ohio History Connection
Melissa Dalton, Greene County Records Center and Archives (Cochair)
Natalie Fritz, Clark County Historical Society (Cochair)
Ken Grossi, Oberlin College
Caroline Ibbotson, Ohio History Connection
Jacky Johnson, Miami University
Amy Rohmiller, University of Dayton University Archives and Special Collections
Last Updated on September 19, 2021 by janet_carleton