Previous Archives Month Events: 2016, 2015, 2014
Previous Archives Month Posters
The theme for Ohio Archives Month 2016 is, “As Ohio Goes, So Goes the Nation: Ohio and Presidential Elections.”
The Archives Month in Ohio sub-committee has selected the theme for Ohio Archives Month, As Ohio Goes, So Goes the Nation: Ohio and Presidential Elections. The poster will feature people, events and places that are in Ohio and have a direct connection to Ohio and elections. SOA members have been asked to submit interesting, fun and serious items such as photographs, documents, graphic items–to illustrate the theme: As Ohio Goes, So Goes the Nation: Ohio and Presidential Elections.
Archives, museums, historical societies, libraries, and other organizations with archival and history collections are invited to participate in Archives Month this year by scheduling a special event or exhibit or lecture to highlight the collections in your institution. We anticipate being able to mail copies of the Archives Month Poster to members during September.
This year also marks the second year of the Ohio-wide “I Found It in the Archives” competition, with an award to be presented to the winner as part of the Ohio Local History Alliance meeting in early October. Connect here for more information on the meeting.
Other suggested activities include:
- Hold a kick-off reception with a featured speaker on the importance of preserving archival records, e.g., an archivist or librarian, researcher, or local government official. Don’t forget to invite the press!
- Display the official Archives Month Poster in your offices.
- Develop a website consisting of your institution’s contributions, if any, to the Ohio Memory Project.
- Send press releases to local media, including a description of your archival materials, an article using research from the materials in your collection, or photographs of some of the most interesting materials in your collection.
- Contact your local government officials and organizations in your community to let them know about Archives Month. Offer to speak about your collection and what resources in your collection could be of use to them. Or (if possible) offer to be a repository for their historic materials or offer your expertise in helping them organize their archives.
- Create an exhibit of some of your materials in your institution.
- Have a program of readings that feature choice items from your collections and have members of your community do the reading! Better yet, get together with other repositories in your community or region for a joint program.
Once you have decided on an event or program, please submit it to the calendar of events for Archives Month in Ohio.
- More information about Archives Month
- Visit the Society of American Archivists’ American Archives Month page for more resources on Archives Month
- Download the official Archives Month Poster
- Check the schedule of Archives Month Events and Activities around the State
- View an exhibit of our past Archives Month Posters
George Bain (chair)
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by janet_carleton