Previous Archives Month Events: 2018 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014
Previous Archives Month Posters
The theme for Ohio Archives Month 2019 is Small Steps, Giant Leaps: Ohio’s Role in Space Exploration
This year’s theme for the SOA Archives Month poster was in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing on July 20, 1969. We invited repositories and institutions across Ohio to submit photographs, documents, or other graphical materials that demonstrated a connection to the theme to be featured on the SOA Archives Month poster. See the Ohio Archives Month 2019 Poster Contest Winners story. Download the official Archives Month Poster (2 MB PDF).
Archives, museums, historical societies, libraries, and other organizations with archival and history collections are invited to participate in Archives Month this year by scheduling a special event or exhibit or lecture to highlight the collections in your institution. Copies of the Archives Month poster were mailed to members during September.
Other suggested activities include:
- Hold a kick-off reception with a featured speaker on the importance of preserving archival records, e.g., an archivist or librarian, researcher, or local government official. Don’t forget to invite the press!
- Display the official Archives Month Poster in your offices.
- Develop a website consisting of your institution’s contributions, if any, to the Ohio Memory Project.
- Send press releases to local media, including a description of your archival materials, an article using research from the materials in your collection, or photographs of some of the most interesting materials in your collection.
- Contact your local government officials and organizations in your community to let them know about Archives Month. Offer to speak about your collection and what resources in your collection could be of use to them. Or (if possible) offer to be a repository for their historic materials or offer your expertise in helping them organize their archives.
- Create an exhibit of some of your materials in your institution.
- Have a program of readings that feature choice items from your collections and have members of your community do the reading! Better yet, get together with other repositories in your community or region for a joint program.
Once you have decided on an event or program, please submit it to the calendar of events for Archives Month in Ohio.
- More information about the history of Archives Month in Ohio.
- Download the official Archives Month Poster (2 MB PDF)
- View an exhibit of our past Archives Month Posters
- Visit the Society of American Archivists’ American Archives Month page for more resources
George Bain, Ohio University Libraries, retired
Jenifer Baker, Warren County Records Center and Archives
Connie Connor, Ohio History Connection
Melissa Dalton, Greene County Records Center and Archives (Cochair)
Natalie Fritz, Clark County Historical Society (Cochair)
Ken Grossi, Oberlin College
Caroline Ibbotson, Ohio History Connection
Jacky Johnson, Miami University
Amy Rohmiller, University of Dayton University Archives and Special Collections
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by janet_carleton