SOA’s Archives Month activity is managed by the Advocacy and Outreach Committee.
The theme for Ohio Archives Month 2022 is Ohio’s Healthcare Workers: The True Heart of It All
October is American Archives Month and we hope you are all thinking of ways to celebrate your own Ohio archives! You can highlight and share your own archive during Archives Month with things like special talks and programming, exhibits, tours, and more!
You should be receiving (or have received) your Ohio Archives month poster in the mail. We hope you display it proudly in your archive for people to see!
The 2022 theme is Ohio’s Healthcare Workers: The True Heart of It All. Coming soon >> See the 2021 Poster Images page for all the details. (Download the poster PDF.) We think you’ll really enjoy the design that celebrates Ohio’s healthcare workers and medical advances. Thank you again to all those who submitted images for consideration!
In keeping with this year’s poster theme, during October the Advocacy and Outreach Committee will be highlighting medically related archives with blog posts on the SOA website. Look out for those!
- We want to let you know a fun way to get involved with both Archives Month and Spooky Season by joining us on Wednesday, October 28 to share scary things from the archives. Have YOU run across anything creepy in your own collection? Have you dealt with scary scenarios amongst the stacks? Is your building haunted? We’ll be taking to social media throughout the day on October 28 and hope you share your own highlights across your own accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. Share your own “scary stuff” using the hashtag #ScaryOHArchives. Start thinking of things to share now!
- Archival Spotlights are a new Archives Month feature for 2022. See them on the blog under Archival Spotlights.
Other ways to celebrate Archives Month
Hold an Event: If your archive site hasn’t made plans yet to do something to celebrate and acknowledge Archives Month, we encourage you to hold some sort of event (in person or virtual) to let people get to know your archives!
Let us know: If you already have something planned (like an open house, talk, etc.), please share the details so that we can publish a list of Ohio Archives Month activities around the state on the SOA website. You can send event details to Advocacy and Outreach Committee Cochair Collette McDonough.
- More information about the history of Archives Month in Ohio.
- Download the official Archives Month Poster (1 MB PDF)
- View an exhibit of our past Archives Month Posters
- Visit the Society of American Archivists’ American Archives Month page for more resources
2022 Committee members
George Bain, Ohio University Libraries, retired
Connie Conner, Ohio History Connection
Amy Czubak, Ohio History Connection (2022-2024)
Natalie Fritz, Clark County Historical Society
Jennifer Gerth, Franciscan Sisters of the Poor (2022-2024)
Ken Grossi, Oberlin College
Jacky Johnson, Miami University
Collette McDonough, Kettering Foundation (cochair 2022-2024)
Laura E. Smith, Ohio University
Erin Wilson, Ohio University (2022-2024)
Last Updated on October 3, 2023 by Emily Gainer