Fall Meeting 2015
The Society of Ohio Archivists is partnering with the Ohio Local History Alliance for Engage, Educate, Empower: Taking Your Organization to the Next Level. This conference will be held on October 2-3, 2015, at the Holiday Inn in Worthington, Ohio.
The SOA track will take place on Friday October 2nd and will feature the following sessions:
- 9:00-9:50: Ask the Archivist
- 10:05-10:55: Tips and Tricks to Get you Quickly from “The Disaster” to “The Recovery” with Holly Prochaska, University of Cincinnati Libraries
- 11:20-12:10: Digital Curation Considerations with Sasha Griffin, Denison University
- 1:40-2:30: “I Found It In The Archives” Contest Winner
- 2:50-3:40: Grants for Archives and Local History Projects with Andy Verhoff, Ohio History Connection and Fred Previts, State Archivist
Also Jennie Thomas of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will be presenting in a Local History Alliance sponsored session entitled, ‘A Day in the Life’ of Jane Scott on Friday from 10:05-10:55. Attendees are welcome to attend any of the Local History Alliance sessions, luncheons, and other special events on both Friday and Saturday.
To view the conference program and to register, see conference web page at: http://www.ohiolha.org/2015-alliance-annual-meeting/
Fall Meeting 2014
The Society of Ohio Archivists is partnering with the Ohio Local History Alliance for Engage, Educate, Empower: Taking Your Organization to the Next Level. This conference is to be held on October 3-4, 2014, at the Holiday Inn in Worthington, Ohio.
SOA has planned the following session schedule:
- 9:00-9:50: Showing Off: Creating Online Exhibits with Suzanne Maggard, University of Cincinnati
- 10:05-10:55 and 11:20-12:10: Simple Custom Enclosures for Cultural Heritage Collections Workshop with Miriam Nelson, Ohio University
- 1:40-2:30: Sharing Treasures From the Archives
- 2:50-3:40: Ask An Archivist
SOA sessions will be held at the same time as the Ohio Local History Alliance sessions on Friday, October 3. SOA members may attend both SOA and OLHA sessions. For more information about the conference, see the meeting brochure. For registration information, see the registration form or register online at connect.ohiohistory.org/events.
Fall Meeting 2013
The Society of Ohio Archivists held its 2013 Fall Meeting in partnership with the Ohio Local History Alliance on October 4-5, at the Holiday Inn in Worthington, Ohio.
- SOA Session Schedule:
- 9:00-9:50 and 10:05-10:55 mini-workshop: Reference Basics for Archivists, with Danna C. Bell-Russel, Library of Congress educational outreach specialist and Society of American Archivists President
- 11:20-12:10 and 1:40-2:30 mini-workshop: Archivists and Teachers: A Winning Combination, with Danna C. Bell-Russel, Library of Congress educational outreach specialist and Society of American Archivists President
- 2:50-3:50: Ask An Archivist
SOA sessions were held concurrently with the Ohio Local History Alliance sessions on Friday, October 4. SOA members were welcome to attend both SOA and Alliance sessions.
Society of Ohio Archivists Fall Conference 2012
October 5, 2012
Holiday Inn, Worthington Ohio
The first-ever combined meeting of the Society of Ohio Archivists and the Ohio Local History Alliance was held October 5, 2012 at the Holiday Inn, Worthington, Ohio! A meeting schedule is available at the Ohio Local History Alliance Annual Meeting page.
The schedule for SOA sessions was:
9:00-9:50 Basics of Paper Conservation with Harry Campbell, The Ohio State University
10:05-10:55 EAD FACTORy: Getting Your Finding Aids Online
11:20-12:10 Archives Administration Forum
1:40-2:30 Introduction to Electronic Records
2:50-3:40 Outreach in the Archives
All SOA sessions were held on Friday alongside Alliance sessions. SOAers could attend SOA or Alliance sessions on the Friday program. The Friday registration included lunch with the Alliance and a speaker. Separate registration for Saturday enabled attendance at another full day of Alliance sessions. Online registration was available through October 1st.
The special discounted conference hotel rate was $70 per night. Parking was free.
Fall Workshop 2011
Staying on TRAC: Digital Preservation Implications and Solutions for Cultural Heritage Institutions
Dates: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Times: 9:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Ohio History Center, 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 - 3rd Floor Classroom
Cost: $35.00 per person (covers the cost of materials and meals)
Details: Deepen your digital preservation knowledge with a two-day workshop targeted toward representatives from organizations who have acquired or created digital content and are now ready to address the issue of long term access to digital collections by partnering with other organizations. These partnerships can be existing or newly forming intra- or inter-institutional collaborative efforts for digital preservation.
The workshop sessions will cover key digital preservation planning topics including:
- assessing your local situation;
- determining your organizational, functional, and technical needs;
- matching needs to current digital preservation solutions.
The workshop helps participants develop their own digital preservation planning document, and allows time for group exercises and feedback.
Presented by: Robin L. Dale, Director of Digital Services for LYRASIS, and Priscilla Caplan, Assistant Director for Digital Library Services at the Florida Center for Library Automation.
Sponsored by: National Endowment for the Humanities, Ohio Historical Society, and Society of Ohio Archivists